Finding a Cleveland spiritual director
By no means is it required that you live in the same city with your spiritual director or meet with them face-to-face. Countless rich and fruitful spiritual direction relationships take place over video conferencing apps like FaceTime or Skype, and that might be the best solution for you. But face-to-face spiritual direction does have certain advantages:
- Direct nonverbal communication
- Freedom from technical glitches
- The intimacy of a shared sacred space away from your office or home
There are a number of brilliant, beautiful and gifted spiritual directors in Northeast Ohio—from Catholic directors steeped in the Jesuit tradition to evangelicals to interfaith practitioners, women and men. You want to find someone you’re comfortable with, personally and theologically.
Christians from a Scripture-focused evangelical tradition (or spiritually seeking agnostics who are comfortable with an evangelical background) may wish to look especially for an ESDA-affiliated director. Evangelical Spiritual Directors Association offers a searchable listing, and every director will be more than happy to have referrals. You Are.Here is one of a few ESDA-affiliated ministries in Cleveland.
You Are.Here Spiritual Direction
The soul care and spiritual formation ministry You Are.Here is practiced out of Cleveland, Ohio, by Brian Hohmeier. As a former Vineyard pastor, Brian began You Are.Here after completing his two years of training with the Sustainable Faith School of Spiritual Direction, offering:
- One-on-one spiritual direction (local and virtual)
- Group spiritual direction
- Personally directed retreats
Brian sees local directees out of a comfortable office at Christ the King Vineyard Church, North Olmsted, and when needed has been able to make alternative arrangements in order to make himself more accessible. His home in Tremont is also an available site to meet comfortably.
At this time, spiritual direction can be most typically set up Monday through Thursday evenings after 6pm (Eastern) or on weekends, with the possibility of other arrangements. Don’t be afraid to ask—we may be able to make your schedule work.
Exploring You Are.Here
Sometimes you might feel a strong “invitation” to a particular spiritual director; other times, it’s less clear. It doesn’t have to be something you feel committed to right away.
Here’s how to get started:
- Even as you’ve taken time to pray about beginning spiritual direction to this point, continue to pray. Practice the Benedictine statio by simply pausing to find Gød dwelling with your heart before taking your next step.
- Reach out below to set up an informal get-to-know-you conversation. This won’t be spiritual direction or even a consultation. You can just get to know Brian and vice-versa, as well as run through any specific questions or expectations. Then take a few more days to let the decision sit in prayer.
- If we decide to proceed, you and Brian will set up an initial spiritual direction appointment.